Understanding Content Definition Stores¶
Content Definitions are a record of the Content Types, Content Parts, and Content Fields used by a tenant.
By default the
File Content Definition feature is enabled, and stores content definitions in a
at the root of each tenants
App_Data folder, e.g.
App_Data/Sites/Default/ContentDefinition.json for the default tenant.
File Content Definition feature is enabled by default, and can be very useful during the Development phase of a project.
As you move your site to a Production phase you may wish to disable the feature and store the Content Definitions in the database.
To migrate your
ContentDefinition.json file to the database use the following procedure:
Step One - Create a Deployment Plan¶
- Go to the Configuration -> Import/Export -> Deployment Plans menu
- Select Add Deployment Plan
- Name your Deployment Plan: 'Content Definitions'
- Select the 'Content Definitions' Deployment Plan
- Select Add Step
- Choose the Update Content Definitions Step
- Check the Include all content types and parts definitions. checkbox
- Execute your Deployment Plan, and select the File Download Target
This will download a file called
ContentDefinitions.zip to your computer.
Step Two - Disable the File Content Definition Feature¶
- Go to the Configuration -> Features menu
- Disable the Feature named
File Content Definition
Step Three - Import your Deployment Plan¶
- Go to the Configuration -> Import/Export -> Import Package menu
- Choose the file you created in Step One, and select Import
You just learnt how to create a Deployment Plan to migrate from the
File Content Definition feature.